Preventive Maintenance Every Vehicle Needs
One way of making sure that your vehicle is in good shape is by performing regular maintenance. Each vehicle make and model will differ from the other on the length of time between manufacturer recommended service. Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual for detailed preventive maintenance schedule recommendations.
What Are The Most Recommended Car Preventative Maintenance Services?
- Belts – when you hear screeching noises due to loose belts, check the serpentine belts and timing belts and have them replaced.
- Engine and cabin filters – replace any dirty filters.
- Fluids – check coolant, windshield washer fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid and brake fluid levels. Top up as required.
- Lights – check if all your lights are working and replace any fuses or bulbs.
- Spark plugs – look for burn marks, calcification or gaps on the plugs and have them replaced for better engine performance.
- Oil and filter change –replace engine oil and filter based on owner’s manual.
- Tire pressure – if you have a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), you will be alerted when you are under-inflated. For older car makes and models without TPMS, visually check if the tires need to be inflated.
What Is My Routine Car Maintenance Schedule Based on Engine Mileage?
Car mileage is a major factor in determining what preventive maintenance should be performed. Below are common mileages with recommended maintenance by most manufacturers;
- Every 3,000 – 7,000 miles – Inspect lights, oil, and oil filter replacement, inspection of fluids (transmission, steering, brake, windshield washer) and tire pressure.
- Every 15,000 – 30,000 miles – Inspect brake pads, cabin and engine air filters, fuel filter, coolant, suspension, HVAC system and radiator hoses.
- Every 35,000 – 50,000 miles – Inspect battery, spark plugs and suspension.
- Every 60,000 miles – Inspect engine, replace brake pads, belts, fluids, radiator hoses.
Note: Always refer to car’s owner’s manual.
Where Can I Schedule Regular Car Maintenance Service?
Looking for a dependable mechanic to perform preventive maintenance on your vehicle? Our certified service technicians have experience working on all car makes and models. You can visit any of our dealership’s service departments or schedule service below.