Car Battery Service & Replacement
The role of a car battery is supplying electrical current to the starter which in turn starts the engine. You can probably relate to trying to start your car on a cold morning, and the battery light on your dash goes off! What does the battery warning light mean? The battery light indicates a problem with charging. While this can mean your alternator has an issue, it is always advisable to have your battery checked.
How Long Do Car Batteries Last?
Car batteries need to be replaced after a few years. On average, a car battery should be replaced between 5 to 7 years. Refer to your car manual or battery label for more information. The more you use your vehicle, the more the battery life deteriorates.
How to Protect your Car Battery
- Clean corroded battery terminals (caused by extreme weather temperatures)
- Keep battery and tray dry from any liquids or dirt
- Apply anti-corrosion sealant to the terminals
Signs That Your Car Battery Needs to Be Replaced
- Sluggish engine start
- Battery leak
- Old battery age
- Bloating battery case
- Low battery fluid level
- Battery check engine light
How to Keep Car Battery from Dying in Cold Weather
- Charge your battery
- Keep battery terminals clean from dirt and corrosion using terminal protectors
- Perform a battery checkup (Most dealerships offer a complimentary battery checkup)
- Park car in a garage, away from the wind
- Before starting the ignition, leave the keys in the ACC/ACCESSORY position for a while for the alternator to charge the battery
Battery Services at Larry H Miller Dealerships
- Charging system evaluation
- Inspection of car battery terminal ends
- Removal and recycling of your old car battery
Looking for Car Battery Service?
Whether you are looking for car battery installation, testing, cleaning or recycling service, stop by any of our Larry H. Miller Dealerships and receive professional advice and service. Our technicians will show you how to clean a corroded car battery, explain battery voltage and explain how often you should replace your car battery. We have different batteries compatible with all car makes and models in stock.